I have Dengue. The first lucky one out of Batch 272. And no I'm not proud of it! Dengue fever is a mosquito-Bourne virus that gives you symptoms resembling the flu on evil steroids. For me, it started with a headache. Then came chills and aches for a few days, while the headache persisted. Then my fever made its grand appearance at 103 degrees. I haven't eaten more than a couple bites in 6 days because my appetite decided to go on vacation. But finally I am beginning to feel much better. I'm still hungry, and still not wanting to eat, still putting up with the headache and still can only stand/walk for about a minute before my head says we need to lie down.
Moral of the story: don't get Dengue!!!
On another note, I might as well let you know about all the awesomeness I have been able to take part in. Last week we talked about how to do sea grass, mangrove and coral reef assessments and then did the first two last Saturday. The seagrass assessment was fantastic and there were quite a few coral, anemones with clownfish, and tons of sea stars that colored the floor.

I unfortunately did NOT take this picture, but I did see many of these guys and will hopefully have similar pictures to show after one of the many diving adventures I plan embarking on.
I'm supposed to have my site-placement interview tomorrow, that is if I make it back. This is an interview where you are asked any number of questions that helps Peace Corps know where your permanent site should be. I know I'll be sure to tell them I want a mosquito-free zone.
The Internet situation at my current site is pretty non-existent. I'll do my best to check in whenever I can thou! I hope everyone is doing better than I am! Thanks for all the love and prayers!!!!
Jess
Hey Jess,
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you. We miss you.
Lee
Way to be the pioneer of batch 272! haha Get better soon!
ReplyDeleteMelissa, Batch 271
awww can't believe you got sick :( and you still sound so high spirited! All the more reason why you're my hero. Miss you like crazy Jess McGuess!
ReplyDeleteGet well soon! Shame you had to go through that though. Take care of yourself!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the Dengue, but if you get a mosquito-free site out of it, at least it was worth something!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the updates!